Each essay response is to be a minimum of 3 to 4 fully developed paragraphs. Rewriting the essay question is not considered a part of your response. Direct quotes are not to be used in test answers.
Answers are to be consistent with the college level. The essays shall be written in APA format and include in text citations to credit your sources.
1. As an investigator you have been tasked with solving a hit and run homicide case involving a pedestrian and unknown vehicle. Explain what wounds you may expect to see and how these injuries may help reconstruct the crime.
2. One of the biggest challenges to medical examiners today is determining whether an infant died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) or whether foul play was involved. Discuss the research behind SIDS and what evidence assists the medical examiner in concluding a death was the result of SIDS. Summarize the protocol an investigator should use at a crime scene when investigating a possible SIDS death.
3. Define carboxyhemoglobin and explain its relationship to the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas.
4. Two children were playing hide and seek with friends. With the assistance of another friend, the two children were lowered down into an abandoned well. The well was approximately 15 feet deep. After two days of searching, a police officer located the two missing children deceased inside the well. Neither child had any signs of injury and did not die as a result of exposure, starvation, or dehydration.
What was the cause of death? Explain your rationale using the assigned readings as well as and external research.
5. A woman sunbathing at the beach in a bikini is found dead of a gunshot wound to the upper right thigh. Black markings can be seen surrounding the entrance wound.
Did the victim die from a contact shot that pierced her femoral artery or is it possible the victim was shot from a distance and the black markings are the ring of dirt? Explain your answer.